Friday 26 August 2016

How to grow Yukon Gold potatoes in pots

My favourite potato is the Yukon Gold variety that has a waxy yellow flesh with a great taste. It's from Canada, eh? Developed and released in 1980 by the guys and gals working at the Department of Agriculture, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada, a potato throw from where my daughter grows heirloom tomatoes in her garden.
Potato haul in August
On May 1st I planted 3 seed potatoes (cut in half) with one sprout showing on each seed in a 5 gallon bucket (recycled from my neighbour's new evergreen trees)  filled with a mixture of Miracle-Gro potting mix, Triple-mix soil, farm manure and a dusting of my organic fertilizer mix. To start, I just covered the potatoes and as they continued to grow, I kept adding soil until they reached the top of the bucket. I must admit that I watered
them virtually every day due to our hot summer weather that reached +30°C - 88 °F almost every day! The plant was huge, growing 3' tall until one day in mid-August the plant leaves dropped and dried up.  Time to harvest! As I mentioned before, I grow potatoes in pots for a July-August harvest. I especially like Yukon Gold mashed potatoes with butter, salt and pepper. The golden yellow colour and buttery taste goes well with roast beef and green beans from the garden!

This photo shows a bounty of 20+ potatoes in the bottom of the black growing barrel. That's a ratio of 1.5:20 potatoes in one pot!  After adding a caption, flag, date and blogger URL it looks like a poster for Yukon Gold Potatoes! August, a great month to harvest, my friend.

No comments: